Monday, January 26, 2009

WEEK 2












1. Assignment: The assignment for this week was to collect 25 old pictures from the Lincoln-era and 25 contemporary pictures due Monday.



2. Craft: I search the web for photos of Abraham Lincoln. I came across a lot of the same ones, or similar ones that have been altered. It was getting difficult for me to find 25 quality photos of Lincoln himself, so that is when I decided to look for photos of his wife, kids, and other historical figures from the same time period. I gather a couple of Mary Todd, John Wilkes-Booth, and even a photo of a favorite chair of Lincoln.



My contemporary photos are mainly of my friends and my boyfriend just hanging out and some of my family on vacation last summer. I didn't have an artistic approach to shooting the new pictures, I just took them for my own photo album and picked ones that I thought were good to use for this assignment.



3. Composition: I chose these two photos pictured in my blog this week as my favorite. The one on the left is a picture of my cousin on our family vacation to Minnesota last year. It's just a funny picture to me because of the story behind it. We had ordered our food to be dropped off at our cabin. We were expecting our food to be dropped off the day we got there, but it didn't come until two days after that. So we spent a couple days eating Ramen soup out of the microwavable cups. Plus, my cousin had just shaved and cut his hair after months of tourment by his mother claiming he looked like Abe Lincoln.



The picture on the right is of John Wilkes-Booth. This picture makes me laugh. The way he is holding his coat looks like he is on some type of dating show.

4. Concept: If I were to mix two pictures together, I would chose the one of my boyfriend driving his new Mustang on the left and the picture of a young Abe Lincoln with messy hair on the right. These pictures just seem to fit together for me. I could see Lincoln driving this car - his hair could be all messed up from driving fast with the windows down. Plus if I put his head on my boyfriends body, it would look like it was looking out the front windshield, driving the car. Also, it would have a little irony to it. Abraham Lincoln - driving a car - an idea that wasn't imaginable during the time Lincoln was alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment